St. Lucy's Church, Manhattan
St. Lucy’s Church is a Roman Catholic parish located in Manhattan, New York City under the authority of the Archdiocese of New York. The church and school address is 338-342 East 104th Street, New York, New York 10029; the school occupied 336 East 104th Street.
The parish was established in 1899 by the Rev. Edmund W. Cronin for Italian and English-speaking Catholics of the secion of the city that lies between 97th and 110th Streets and 2nds Avenue and the East River The first church was erected 1900 to the designs of the architectural firm of Lynch & Comb (of 1133 Broadway), for the Rev. E. W. Cronin at a cost of $25,000. The unnamed structure was described as a "1-sty stone church, 80.8×96.11" and the address Nos 336 to 343 E 104th Street. In addition, Rev. Cronin commissioned the same architectural firm to build a four-story brick and stone rectory at 344 East 104th Street for $12,000. Mass was first said there on January 21, 1900.
Despite the priests of Irish descent as well as some lingering parishioners, the church quickly reflected the neighboring Italian American community and a new church was planned reflecting this demographic change.
St. Lucy's was built between 1914 and 1915 to designs by the architectural firm of Thomas. J. Duff at 407 West 14th Street, New York City. The structure was described in the planning application (1914) as a "three-story brick church and settlement house, 80×96 ft," and the structure was planned to cost $40,000.
The midblock double-height Neo-Gothic-style church has a rendered symmetrical façade of three bays, a splayed plinth and a moulded stringcourse running above between the first and (heightened) second floors. The central bay has a depressed gable surmounted by an open bellcote with cast-bronze bell; the second storey has a prominent quatrefoil rose window surmounted by a stop-ended hood mould over the first floor with three square-headed windows in round-headed recesses. Flanking bays both slightly project with square-headed parapet roofs, while both second floors have three square-headed windows in round-headed recesses over gabled breakfront entrance porches. Both porch entrances are square-headed double varnished timber paneled doors set within a deep round-headed opening with quatrefoil and mouchette tympanums.
This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
44 East 104th Street
New York, N.Y. 10029