St. Joseph's Church in Rosebank, Staten Island
In 1901, Father Paolo lacomino was sent by the Archdiocese to lay the groundwork for a new parish in the community of Rosebank. The area was predominantly European and was called Rosebank due to the exceptional amount of rose bushes cultivated in the community.
The first Mass was celebrated by the St. Joseph's community on St. Mary's Avenue in 1902. As the population increased on Staten Island in the early 20th century, St. Joseph's parish grew significantly as well. Church groups and organizations were formed and the parish developed into a strong and active community.
By the 1950s it was decided that the St Joseph's community needed a larger church, and in 1957 the present edifice was built. In 1963, the parish built a school and rectory.
171 Saint Marys Ave,
Staten Island, NY