St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan



St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of St. Joseph in Greenwich Village is a Roman Catholic parish church located at 365 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) at the corner of Washington Place in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1833-34, it is the oldest purpose-built Roman Catholic church building in New York City.
St. Joseph's Parish was founded by Bishop John Dubois in 1829. The cornerstone of the Church was laid on June 10, 1833. The church was designed by John Doran in the Greek Revival style. The interior of the church was restored in 1972. At the time, a fresco of the Transfiguration, after Raphael's original in the Vatican, was discovered under layers of paint and restored. Structural restoration work was performed in 1991 and 1992.

This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
371 Sixth Avenue,
New York, NY 10014