St. John's Lutheran Church in Hoboken, NJ



St. John's Lutheran Church in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

St. John's congregation was established on September 19, 1889, and incorporated according to the laws of the State of New Jersey. The congregation worshiped at the Odd Fellow's Hall until the spring of 1890, when an opportunity was offered to buy this church building, the old First Baptist Church of Hoboken. This church building was purchased on April 29, 1890.

This historic church was designed by architect Thomas S. Field and was built by Issac Linkey and members of the First Baptist congregation. The church was consecrated on November 4, 1852, and has been in continuous service to the present. The edifice is a fine example of Romanesque Revival architectureal style, characterized by the round-arched transom and paired windows in arch-surrounds flanking the tower, corbelled gable ends with indented panels in pilaster-like protrusions at the corners, and eight pairs of side windows in flattened arch-shaped recessed panels. This church stands as the oldest church building in Hoboken.

On June 29, 1891, St. John's congregation re-organized and was formally received into the Lutheran communion as a congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Ninety years later, on October 11, 1981, the congregation withdrew from the Missouri Synod and was formally received into the East Coast Synod, Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches. On January 1, 1988, the Lutheran Church in America, the American Lutheran Church and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches united to constitute the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America [ELCA]. St. John's parish is presently a member congregation of the New Jersey Synod, ELCA.

Worship at Saint John’s church is faithful to the tradition of the Lutheran Church as part of the historic Western rite. The liturgy is evangelical catholic in the fullest sense.

Saint John’s church has pioneered the way to liturgical renewal and Eucharistic revival in the United States. The Saint James Society was founded in this congregation. Its purpose was to help Lutheran parishes reclaim the historic practice of weekly Holy Communion taught in the Lutheran Confessions—Apology to the Augsburg Confession. The Mass as the chief Sunday service has been celebrated here since May 1933.

The Hoboken Shelter is located in the lower level/basement of the church. It was established in 1982 and provides accomodations for 65 and feeds 70-100 persons every evening. The shelter assists homeless men and women in developing the skills needed to gain employment, achieve independence and re-integrate into the community. Through their Independent Living Program (ILP), they also offer workshops in the arts, and in developing life and job skills. The Shelter is owned and operated by The Communities of Faith for Housing, Inc., a non-profit housing corporation made up of ministers and laity from houses of worship as well as several Hoboken community leaders.

based on a Church info page
Contact info:
300 Bloomfield Street,
Hoboken, NJ 07030-4809
See also:




Comments



#1 upicide

krzem do picia
http://dobrykrzem.pl