St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ


St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ. Image 1: copyright by Unknown

The origin of The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint John the Theologian traces back to 1952, when a group of Greek Orthodox Christians were granted a charter by the Archdiocese, to establish a church in Fairview, NJ. The Ascension Church of Fairview was the only church in Bergen County at the time. According to parish history, Ascension community's membership began to grow rapidly soon after its founding. Members living in northeastern Bergen County considered establishing a new, more conveniently located church in the mid 1950's.

In 1959, a group of members purchased two acres in Tenafly, NJ. An additional five acres was purchased a few years later. The Chagaris family donated an additional four acres thus completing the 11 acre site of the present church complex.

The present edifice was finally contracted for construction in 1964. Groundbreaking for the new church took place April 14, l968 and the cornerstone was laid in November, 1969. The project was completed and built through the untiring efforts and generous donations of both communities under the guidance of the first priest assigned to Saint John, Father Socrates Tsamutalis. The Church, built in the Byzantine style, opened its doors on November 9th, 1969. On April 5th, 1979, the Archdiocese elevated the church to status of Cathedral with Metropolitan Silas as Bishop, reflecting the importance of one of the largest parishes in the United States.

The parish embarked on a massive iconography program which was completed in 1982. The iconography is a hallmark of the church facility. The need for further expansion was soon evident and a construction project began in the mid-1980s. It continued for more than 10 years. The parish experienced the shock of Father Tsamutalis' untimely death in 1988, but progress continued under the leadership of Father Peter C. Kyriakos for two years, then Very Rev. Anastasios C. Blougouras until his retirement in 1998.

Through the efforts of individuals and various clubs, parishioners have displayed a talent for pulling together and giving generously often of their time and money to accomplish these goals.

based on the Official website
Contact info:
353 East Clinton Ave
Tenafly, NJ 07670
See also:




Comments



#1 Geo