St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan
The Church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 West 30th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Fur District of the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. To the church's rear is the Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist, located at 210 West 31st Street across from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden.
The parish was established in 1840 as the second parish to serve German Catholics in New York after St. Nicholas' Church, which was establishe in 1833. The first church erected was a small timber structure. It was dedicated 20 September 1840. Archbishop John Hughes laid the cornerstone for a new brick church on the site on the 14th of March 1847.
The present French Gothic-style stone church was built between 1871 and 1872 to the designs of the prolific ecclesiastical architect Napoleon LeBrun, architect of several New York Catholic churches as well as the cathedral in Philadelphia. The cornerstone was laid by Fr. Frey on Pentecost Sunday, June 4 or June 11 of 1871. The church is 165 feet long and 67 feet wide, originally accommodating 1,200 people, and costing $175,000 to construct. The church was dedicated on June 23, 1872, by Archbishop John Cardinal McClosky, the first American cardinal.
The church's organ and choir gallery, as well as a number of statues and stained-glass windows, were destroyed in a fire on January 10, 1997. The damage was repaired and the organ was replaced with an electronic one.
The brown brick Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist was built in 1974.
This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
210 West 31st Street,
New York, NY 10001-2802