St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ



St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

St. Henry's Church is a Roman Catholic church on Avenue C between 28th.and 29th. Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. The parish was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street.

Construction of the current English Gothic style church, designed by architect Thomas Henry Poole, began in 1911, and was patterned after Durham Cathedral in England. The design of the building is cruciform or cross-shaped similar to most medieval churches of Europe. The building exterior is made of limestone from Bedford, Indiana. The ground was broken for the new church by Fr. Peter E. Reilly on June 17, 1911 and the cornerstone was laid by Bishop O'Connor on September 15, 1912. The new church was dedicated on May 30, 1915.

The interior of St. Henry's includes a Botticino marble main altar which was imported from Pietrasanta, Italy, a pulpit of carrara marble and the 28 foot high baldachino made of oak from the Balkans, lindenwood from Bavaria and local pine which, along with the screen behind the alter, were made in Urtijëi, Italy. Over 30,000 pieces of goldleaf were used in the gilding.

During the church renovations done from 1968 to 1969, the plain windows were replaced with stained glass windows, done in 11th century Byzantine style, including one of Pope John XXIII. These were created by Simon Berasaluce, who has been called "a modern master with a medieval touch". The current pastor of St. Henry's Church is Bishop Thomas A. Donato.


This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

based on the Wikipedia page
Contact info:
645 Avenue C,
Bayonne, NJ 07002