St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 East 83rd Street, between Second and Third Avenues, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. St. Elizabeth's was originally founded by Slovakian immigrants on the Lower East Side, with the first Mass celebrated on April 26, 1891 in the basement of St. Bridget's Church on 8th Street and Avenue B.

The first church building was located 345 East 4th Street, which hosted its first Mass on August 7, 1892. A special feature of the New York Times in 1901, mentioned the church, listed as "the Hungarian church," among other Catholic structures in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, describing the group "for the most part...limit[ing] themselves to the functions of a parish church, in districts where social needs are otherwise supplied." Without comment on other facilities attached.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan. Image 2

As parishioners relocated, it became necessary to move the parish. The former Second Emmanuel Lutheran Church church on East 83rd Street, built in 1892, became the new home for St. Elizabeth's on June 7, 1917. It underwent several expansions in the following decades.

As the local Slovak population declined later in the 20th century, Cardinal Cooke redesignated it as a church for the deaf Catholics of New York on July 1, 1980.

This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
211 East 83rd Street
New York, N.Y. 10028