St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan



St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church at 359 West 24th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is the second church on this site. The first St. Eleftherios Church was orginally the Twenty-fourth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1860, and taken over by the St. Eleftherios congregation in 1913. That church burnt down in 1973, and was replaced by the current sanctuary in 1976, designed by Stephen Papadatos. The church lies at the edge of the Penn South housing development.
citation from the "From Abyssinian to Zion" book.
Contact info:
359 West 24th Street,
New York, NY 10011
See also: