St. Bartholomew's Church, Queens



St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic Church was established in 1906. The first services were held in the Union League Clubhouse, and later at the Baptist Church on Whitney Avenue. Through the efforts of the Rev. Jeremiah J. Heafy, rector of the parish since its organization, a church was built in 1911. Located on Fourth Street near Whitney Avenue, the first church had an exterior of light pressed brick with terra cotta and sandstone trimmings. Stained glass windows were imported from Munich, Germany, and the interior was finished in oak with an old English finish. This church was dedicated by Bishop McDonnell on April 30, 1911. About 1930, the present church was built, and the original church became a chapel.

based on NYC AGO page
Contact info:
43-22 Ithaca Street
Elmhurst (Queens), N.Y. 11373