St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx


St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.

based on NYC AGO page
Contact info:
838 East 165th Street,
Bronx, NY 10459-2902
See also: