Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan



Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Founded in 1940, the synagogue originally served a bustling, immigrant population within New York’s Yiddish theater district. The present congregation building is a former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1846. The church lost most of its congregation in a tragic fire aboard the General Slocum steamship in June 1904. The building stood empty for years afterward until it was brought back to life by a group of Jewish visionaries in November 1940.
based on citation from the Official website and Wikipedia page
Contact info:
325 East 6th Street,
New York, NY 10003