Russian Orthodox Church of Three Saints in Garfield, NJ
The church was founded in 1898 by Russian immigrants, mostly from the region of the Carpathian Mountains in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. The cornerstone of the Three Saints Church was laid on July 3, 1901. The original Three Saints Church edifice was a wooden building adorned with traditional mural icons and a bell imported from Russia.
Fire destroyed the wooden structure of the Three Saints Church on August 14, 1915. Reverend Alexander Alekhin, pastor from 1915-1917, guided the building of a larger brick church on the same site as that of the original church. Additional land adjacent to the church property was purchased. The property was used for building a parish hall and auditorium which included rooms for classes, meetings, and social functions. While the church building was under construction, church services were held at the Holy Innocents Episcopal Church. When the parish hall was completed, the hall was used temporarily for church services. The brick five-domed church completed in the fall of 1916, held its first service on December 25, 1916.
When the 60th Anniversary of the Church was celebrated in 1958, the parishioners included 1,000 families. The Three Saints Church had grown to be the second largest Orthodox parish in New Jersey. The Sunday school program required rental space. The church hall could no longer accommodate the affairs of parish social life. Youth programs were curtailed or drastically limited because of space. The church building was too small to serve the worship needs of parishioners. Parishioners decided to build a larger church and to relocate the parish to a 9 1/2 acre property at 464 Outwater Lane in Garfield, the site of the former Srob dairy farm. On 12/6/61 the land was purchased for $350,000 and the mortgage liquidated in four years. Reverend Joseph Pishtey, Jr., guided the parish from 1960 to 1969. Father Pishtey oversaw the initial building program for a larger church at a new location.
Plans for a Three Saints Church building complex included 6 buildings: church, rectory, pavilion, cultural center, choir director’s house, and annex for permanent picnic facilities. The newly constructed Three Saints Church was dedicated and consecrated on July 15, 1984.
474 Outwater Lane,
Garfield, NJ 07026