Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY



Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY. Image 1

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, also known as Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), is a 17th century church located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, United States. The church and its three acre (12 ha) churchyard feature prominently in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". The churchyard is often confused with the contiguous but separate Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It is the oldest extant church and the fifteenth oldest extant building in the state of New York.

Frederick Philipse I, Lord of Philipse Manor, owned the vast stretch of land spanning from Spuyten Duyvil in the Bronx to the Croton River. After swearing allegiance and later being granted his Manorship from the English, he began construction of the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow. Although financing this project, work likely progressed slowly and was completed in 1685. The church's walls are about two-feet thick and are composed of local fieldstone.

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY. Image 2

Cast in Holland in 1685, the tiny church bell still hangs in the open-air steeple. Engraved on the bell is a verse from Romans 8:31, “Si Deus Pro Nobis, Quis Contras Nos?” ("If God be for us, who can be against us"), as well as Frederick Philipse’s monogram, “VF.” This monogram also appears on the weathervane above the steeple.

The early history of the church and its members was recorded by Dirck Storm, in his book "Het Notite Boeck der Christelyckes Kercke op de Manner of Philips Burgh," one of the nation's most valuable historical documents. Washington Irving gave yellow bricks from the church to outline the construction date on the wall above the door at Bolton Priory in Pelham Manor, New York.

Restoration in the 1960s revealed that several timbers in the roof were original. The roof's gambrel design is common to the Friesland area of the Netherlands, the area from which Frederick Philipse emigrated. Philipse and members of his family are buried in the church crypt, while others of the congregation are buried in the churchyard.

When Rt. 9 shifted from the east to the west of the church, the main entrance was moved from the south side to the west end.

based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
420 N Broadway,
Tarrytown, NY 10591