Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church was established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson (1784-1850), a resident of Inwood, in the northern area of Manhattan. It was named for the site of Fort Washington which is presently located in Bennett Park on Fort Washington Avenue between 183rd and 185th Streets.

The first church, a wooden Gothic building with steeple, was erected located on the northwest corner of Kingsbridge Road and Inwood Street (now Broadway and Dyckman Street) on the property of Mr. Thomson. The church had a grass lot in front with two willow trees that had given the church a framed view from the street. On August 18, 1844, the first services were held in the new church, allowing a more convenient place to worship for those who had previously traveled to churches in the Bronx or in southern parts of Manhattan. The land was later deeded to the church by the heirs of Mr. Thomson, and the building was enlarged in 1856.

In the 1920s, the city formed the Independent Subway (IND) and began planning routes into upper Manhattan. The proposed "A" train was to run under church property, resulting in the condemnation in 1927 of the church building and property, and the church was forced to relocate. Ground was broken for the present church on June 23, 1928, and the structure was completed in the summer of 1929. The last service in the old church was held on June 16, 1929, and first services in the new building were held in September 1929. The parish house was built on the present site in 1914. In the 1930s, a portion of the church property was sold, allowing the construction of the Inwood Post Office, located on the corner of 204th Street and Vermilyea Avenue.

based on a Page at NYC AGO
Contact info:
84 Vermilyea Avenue at 204th Street
New York, N.Y. 10034