Immaculate Conception Church, Queens

immaculate conception church, astoria

Immaculate Conception Church is Roman Catholic christian church located at 29th strit in Astoria, Queens. The first congregation mass took place on January 27, 1924 at 2819 Ditmars Avenue, the home of Dr. John J. Dempsey. An increase of worshipers number resulted the hiring of “Offenbacher’s Hall” on Second Avenue to accommodate these rapidly expanding needs and it was here that Immaculate Conception’s first organizational meeting was held on the night of February 6, 1924. The construction of present church building was finished on Christmas 1924.

A grotto was constructed in 1934 in honor of Our Lady, depicting the apparitions of St Bernadette at Lourdes. It stood on Ditmars Avenue and twenty-Ninth Street until 1940, when it was relocated to the school yard. In 1971 a chapel on 21 avenue was dedicated to minister to the Spanish-speaking people of the parish.
based on citations from the Churth history page.
Contact info:
21-47, 29th Street
Astoria, NY 11105