Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica, Queens



Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica. Photo 1

In 1923 Bishop Thomas E. Molloy of the Brooklyn Diocese invited the Passionists to establish a new parish in Jamaica, Queens. On July 5, 1924 the parish of the Immaculate Conception was formally organized when founding pastor, Father Chrysostom Smith, C.P. celebrated the first Mass in the library of the Degnon mansion. A small temporary framed church was erected on the grounds and the first public Mass was celebrated on November 9, 1924.
In 1924 the first cloistered retreat ever held in the Brooklyn Diocese took place inside the Degnon mansion. The mansion would also serve as rectory and monastery. In 1926 an addition was added to the wooden church and in 1928 construction began on the monastery, retreat house and basement church. The basement church was formally opened at the Christmas Eve Mass in 1929. The Monastery and Retreat House were dedicated on April 23, 1930.
In 1960 the long awaited construction of the upper church began. It was dedicated on September 22, 1962 by Bishop McEntegart. The church is designed in the Romanesque style to accommodate 1,350 in the nave.
based on citations from the Parish history page
Contact info:
86-45 Edgerton Blvd.
Jamaica N.Y. 11432