Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Manhattan

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is a Lutheran church located at 3 West 65th Street at the corner of Central Park West in the Upper West Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

The church is a double-height-over-basement stone structure with a rectory, and is located within the Central Park West Historic District, designated 1990 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Manhattan. Image 2

The congregation was founded in 1868 after splitting from St. James's Lutheran Church. Most New York Lutherans were German in the nineteenth century and "Holy Trinity was one of a very few English-speaking Lutheran congregations. The first church was at 47 West 21st Street, in the edifice originally built for St. Paul's Reformed Dutch Church."

It was built between 1902 and 1904. The church building, designed by the noted architectural firm of Schickel & Ditmars, who were generally responsible for the designs of Roman Catholic commissions or other clients of German descent.

Contact info:
3 West 65th Street,
New York, NY 10023-6601