Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY



Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY. Photo 1

Holy Trinity Monastery is a male monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), located near Jordanville, New York. Founded in 1930 by two Russian immigrants, it eventually became a main spiritual center of Russian Orthodoxy in the West. The monastery is well known for its publishing work and for the attached Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary.
The monastery was founded in 1930 by Father Panteleimon (Nizhnik) and two his friends as they bought the Starkweather farm near Jordanville for a $25 down payment. In addition to performing the daily services, the brotherhood worked the land and began dairy production. Soon they began building a large house with a chapel and room for sixteen cells, and completed it in 1935, but it burnt to the ground at the day of consecration.
In 1946 The Brotherhood of St. Job from Ladomirová, Czechoslovakia joined the monastery, turning it into the largest Orthodox Monastery in America. The Brotherhood of St. Job brought St. Job’s printing press with them across the Atlantic, and, until the fall of the Soviet Union, Holy Trinity Monastery was the only place in the world that could typeset in Church Slavonic.
The construction of a new monastery cathedral has began in 1944, the cornerstone of the church was laid in 1947, and the church was completed in 1951. New monastic quarters were built from 1954–1957.
The monastery maintains several cemeteries on its property, which collectively make up one of the largest Eastern Orthodox cemeteries in the United States.

This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
PO Box 36
Jordanville, NY 13361