Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan



Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation was founded in 1906, and held its services at 220 West 130th Street in a building which later became the Williams Institutional C.M.E. Church. In 1922, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a new synagogue and community house at 605 West 161st Street, near Fort Washington Avenue. Completed at a cost of $500,000 in 1925, the buildings were designed by George and Edward Blum and Ludwig Hanauer, and featured terra cotta trim and a deep latticework arch over the entrance. These remarkable buildings later became a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

In 1973, Hebrew Tabernacle moved to its present location across from Bennett Park in Washington Heights. Built in 1931-32 for the Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, the Art Deco building was designed by Cherry & Matz and is noted for its white stone facade. The area is home to many German Jews who fled or survived the Holocaust. In 2002, Congregation Beth Am, known as the People’s Temple, merged with Hebrew Tabernacle.

based on the Page at NYCAGO
Contact info:
551 Fort Washington Avenue at West 185th Street
New York, N.Y. 10033