First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ



First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

The First Reformed Dutch Church of Bergen Neck, now known as The First Federated Church of Bayonne is located in Bayonne, New Jersey. Its history goes back to 1638, when the ship, "Arms of Norway", landed on the shores of Manhattan. In 1654, nine Dutch passangers from this ship moved to what was then called New Amsterdam. They were the first white settlers and consequently, the founders of Bayonne, New Jersey. The congregation started in the homes of these people. From there a small log church was built in the area of what is now Jersey City.

As the congregation grew, a stone church was erected in 1680 on Bergen Avenue. 1723 finds the religious services moving closer to the Bayonne area with a new church called the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Bergen. As the congregation grew once more, two new churches were built, both still standing today. One is in Jersey City, dated 1841 and is now called the old Bergen Church. The other was established earlier in 1828 and dedicated on January 11, 1829. It was named the Refrmed Dutch Church of Bergen Neck.

The old Dutch church was located on 29th Street in Bayonne. The second site was across the street from where the building now stands. One hundred years ago when Avenue C was widened, the church was moved to its existing location on the corner of 33rd street and Avenue C.

On March 30, 1874, the name was changed to the First Reformed Church of Bayonne. In the 1950's, this church combined with the Christ Presbyterian Church of Bayonne and the Third Reformed Church and is now known as the First Federated Church.

based on the Church history page
Contact info:
763 Avenue C,
Bayonne, NJ 07002-2845