Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan


Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1: Copyright by Unknown

The Fifth Avenue Synagogue (קהלת עטרת צבי) is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue located at 5 East 62nd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The synagogue was founded in 1958, by former members of Congregation Zichron Ephraim who opposed that congregation's decision to seat men and women together during services. Henry Hirsch, Myrtle Hirsch, Leib Merkin and Hermann Merkin were among the congregation's founders. Author Herman Wouk was an early member of the Fifth Avenue Synagogue.

Rabbi Emanuel Rackman was chosen in 1967 to succeed Rabbi Immanuel Jakobovits, who had been the founding Rabbi of the congregation in 1959 and been elected to serve as Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth. Rabbi Rackman served until 1977, when he was selected to serve as President of Bar-Ilan University. Rabbi Nisson Shulman served as the congregation's rabbi from 1977 until 1985. Rabbi Sol Roth assumed the leadership of the synagogue in 1986.

Rabbi Yaakov Kermaier assumed leadership of Fifth Avenue Synagogue in 2003. He was elected President of the New York Board of Rabbis in 2010 and is a member of the UJA-Federation Board of Directors, the Executive Board of the Rabbinical Council of America (RCA) and AIPAC's National Council. Rabbi Kermaier chairs the Manhattan Eruv Committee and oversees the Eruv's maintenance and expansion. Before his arrival in Manhattan, Rabbi Kermaier led the Ohel Leah Synagogue in Hong Kong for six years. Fifth Avenue Synagogue's assistant rabbi is Rabbi Seth Grauer, who also teaches at The Ramaz Upper School. The Chazzan is the noted cantor Joseph Malovany.

The stone-clad building was designed by Percival Goodman, an architect who described himself as "an agnostic who was converted by Hitler". Goodman sought to interpret Jewish tradition in modern ways in the more than 50 synagogues he designed. Herman Wouk described Goodman's design as a "traditional Sephardic layout" with the bimah and aron in the center area facing rows of seats, thereby taking advantage of the depth of the property. In May, 2010, a new mikvah at the Fifth Avenue Synagogue was dedicated. Funding for construction was provided by Ira Rennert and family.

based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
5 East 62nd Street
New York, NY 10065