Elmhurst Baptist Church, Queens

Elmhurst Baptist Church, Queens. Image 1

The Elmhurst Baptist Church was organized September 19, 1900, at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Avard L. Dunlop, 39 Vietor Place. Reverand Charles J. Keevel, Pastor of the Woodside Baptist Church, assumed leadership of the group, and was the preacher at this time. The first preaching service took place on Sunday afternoon, October 7, 1900 in a small room in the Cord Meyer Block, on Broadway.

In December 1901, the Rev. William J. Noble became the church pastor, and regular services were held thereafter. In March 1902, the church moved from a small room to the Union League Club House, on Whitney Avenue. The cornerstone of the building was laid on July 12, 1902, and the first service in the new building was held on March 22, 1903, in the preaching auditorium.

In 1928, church members had raised funds and decided it was financially possible to proceed with actual construction. As a result of determination, prayerful efforts, and loyal denominational support, the new addition to the church was dedicated during the week of October 13, 1929.

based on a Church website
Contact info:
87-37 Whitney Avenue
Elmhurst, NY 11373
See also: