Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx. Image 1

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil is a United Church of Christ parish church in The Bronx, New York. Its congregation was originally founded in 1869 as the mission chapel affiliated with the Riverdale Presbyterian Church, serving the workers at the nearby Johnson Iron Foundry. The church was designed by architect Francis Kimball and was built from 1888–1889.

By 1977, the church’s congregation had fallen dramatically. Plans were announced to close the church and convert it into a community center, the pastoral leadership was assumed by the Rev. Dr. William A. Tieck, a retired Methodist, who led the congregation until his death in 1997. In 1982, the church was added to the National Register of Historical Places. It has also been designated as a New York City landmark.

Contact info:
2570 Independence Avenue
NY 10463-6204
See also: