Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Manhattan


Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Manhattan. Image 1: via http://catholicmanhattan.blogspot.com

The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church, located in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen/Clinton. Founded in 1876, it is a parish of the Archdiocese of New York and is at 457 West 51st Street. Sacred Heart of Jesus School is located at 456 West 52nd Street.

The parish was founded in 1876 with the Rev. Martin J. Brophy as the first pastor. The congregation first met in the converted Plymouth Baptist Church at 487 West 51st Street.

According to the parish history, the cornerstone of the present Victorian Romanesque church building was laid on July 23, 1884 and the finished church building was dedicated by The Most Rev. Michael A. Corrigan, Archbishop of New York, on May 17, 1885. However, according to the AIA Guide to NYC (1978), the "symmetric confection of deep red brick and matching terra cotta frosted with light-colored stone arches, band courses, and copings" was built around 1901 to the designs by the prominent architectural firm of Napoleon LeBrun & Sons.

It is one of the largest churches in Midtown Manhattan.

In 1966, the interior of the church was the first in the Archdiocese of New York to be reconfigured after the Second Vatican Council.

Contact info:
Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
457 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019