Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens



Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 1

The Church of the Resurrection is the oldest church in Richmond Hill. Sometime in 1866 or 1867, the Rev. George Cook, assistant minister at Grace Church, began to hold services in the old Long Island Railroad station between Hillside Avenue and Jamaica Avenue. The Richmond Hill mission, as it came to be known, took root and a chapel was built over a carpenter’s shop in the business block. The Richmond Hill chapel remained a mission until 1874 when the Reverend Joshua Kimber moved to Richmond Hill and took charge. On April 27, 1874, a meeting was held in the Public Hall and it was decided to incorporate as the Church of the Resurrection, at Richmond Hill. Two months later, six lots running from Church Street (118th Street) south of Central Avenue (85th Avenue) to Lefferts Boulevard were donated by Albon P. Man, who was active in the development of Richmond Hill. A small wooden frame church, designed by Henry Dudley in the Gothic style, was completed at a cost of $5,050 and dedicated on December 17, 1874. In 1886 a fire damaged the chancel but it was soon rebuilt.

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 2
In 1904, it was decided to enlarge the building, but wanting to preserve their beloved church, the new addition was built around the old. The old 1874 structure is preserved INSIDE the new one. Long time parishioner and well known architect Nathaniel W. Vickers of the architectural firm Collin and Vickers was hired for the job. The original wood frame church was enclosed by the larger French (Fourteenth Century) Gothic Style facade with a massive stone base and tower. The 1874 cornerstone was preserved and left in its original place which is now in the narthex of the church. A new cornerstone was laid on July 18, 1904.

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 3

On November 2, 1996, the Church of the Resurrection was presented with a bronze plaque by the Queens Historical Society in recognition of the church’s historical and architectural merits. In 2003 the Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Church’s rectory, a seven bedroom Queen Anne Victorian, built in 1888, was also placed on the National Register. The Friends of the Resurrection exist to help further the restoration and continued use of this historic ensemble of buildings in Richmond Hill.

based on Page at NYC AGO
Contact info:
85-09 118th St,
Queens, NY 11415