Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of Saint Paul and Saint Andrew is a historic United Methodist church located in the Upper West Side of New York City, New York on West 86th Street. The Church is known for being socially moderate, and being accepting of people of all races, ages, and sexual orientations. The Church hosts a number of performing arts groups; including the Empire City Men's Chorus, The Prospect Theater Company, and David Parker & The Bang Group.

The Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew is the result of a merger in 1937 of St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and St. Andrew's Methodist Episcopal Church. St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1834 as the Mulberry Street Methodist Episcopal Church at 306 Mulberry Street. In 1857, the congregation moved to Fourth Avenue and 22nd Street, where a new church had been designed by Ebenezer L. Roberts. As their members moved uptown, the church relocated to the present building on West End Avenue and 86th Street, designed by R.H. Robertson and opened in 1897. Robertson's church and adjoining parish house are an eclectic mix of Romanesque Revival style influenced by Classical and Renaissance-inspired forms. The exterior is noted for its two towers, one being an octagonal campanile and the other a square tower set at an angle, and a main entrance with its tri-partite porch. Inside, the large sanctuary is flanked by galleries on three sides, and large windows that flood the interior with natural light.

The church building was declared a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1981.

This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
263 West 86th Street,
New York, NY 10024