Calvary Presbyterian Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island



Calvary Presbyterian Church, Staten Island. Image 1

Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized on November 17, 1872, by thirty-five persons, most of whom had previously been members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Port Richmond. The society occupied a chapel that had been erected at the corner of Castleton and Bement Avenues during the summer of 1872, for use by a Sunday-school that had been organized in May of that year. In September 1874, the plain wooden chapel was doubled in size so that it could accomodate about 500 persons. On the evening of April 17, 1892, arsonists set fires in the area, and the chapel burned to the ground.

Plans for a new church began immediately after the fire, involving everyone who had been connected with the church and Sunday-school. Stephenson & Greene of New York designed a building that combined Romanesque and Tudor Revival styles. The new church was opened on March 4, 1894. Total cost of the building, with its furnishings, was $25,000.

About 1952, the exterior of the church was altered when half-timbering was removed to facilitate the installation of stained glass windows. Three large windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios were salvaged from hurricane-damaged Randall Memorial Chapel at Sailors' Snug Harbor, along with smaller images of saints, and incorporated into the church by artist Thomas Harland. Three stained glass windows created by Stephen Alexander were added to the tower entrance vestibule. The adjacent parish house was a later addition. In 2002, Calvary Presbyterian Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

based on NYC AGO page
Contact info:
909 Castleton Avenue,
Staten Island, NY 10310-1824