Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox church on Manhattan's Upper West Side at West End Avenue and West 91st Street. The Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation (Evangelismos) is a parish of the Direct Archdiocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The church was built by Heins & LaFarge in (1893–94) as the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The church was sold to a Greek parish in 1952. The rusticated masonry façade with a sparing use of Venetian Gothic and Richardsonian Romanesque details and the square corner bell tower with a crenellated parapet embellished with gargoyle gutter-spouts reveal Richardson's training. Fine stained glass may be from Tiffany studios, or may be by John LaFarge, the architect's father, which would make them even rarer.
This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
302 West 91st Street,
New York, NY 10024-1011