Jul 03 2011

St. Monica's Church, Manhattan

St. Monica's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Monica is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 413 East 79th Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1879. The fourth Catholic parish on the Upper East Side, St. Monica's was founded by Fr. John Treanor, pastor of the Church of St. Lawrence O'Toole (now the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola).


Jul 03 2011

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 East 83rd Street, between Second and Third Avenues, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. St. Elizabeth's was originally founded by Slovakian immigrants on the Lower East Side, with the first Mass celebrated on April 26, 1891 in the basement of St. Bridget's Church on 8th Street and Avenue B.


Jul 03 2011

Church of Our Saviour, Manhattan

Church of Our Saviour, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Roman Catholic Church of Our Saviour was established in 1955, making it one of the youngest parishes in Manhattan. Its striking Romanesque edifice on Park Avenue, designed by Paul W. Reilly and built in 1959, is also one of the newer Roman Catholic church buildings.


Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by James Russiello.

The Church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 West 30th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Fur District of the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. To the church's rear is the Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist, located at 210 West 31st Street across from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden.


Jul 02 2011

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Newark, NJ

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Newark, NJ. Image 1

The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the fifth-largest cathedral in North America, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It is located at 89 Ridge Street in Newark, New Jersey. Envisioned as a "fitting monument to the faith," construction began in 1899 and was finished in 1954. The original design called for an English/Irish-gothic church, but plans were later modified in favor of a French-gothic style.


Jun 20 2011

Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, Manhattan

Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, Manhattan. Image 1

Gracing Manhattan's historic Chelsea District, the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava is a splendid example of Gothic Revival architecture. The former Trinity Chapel and the then uptown branch of Trinity Church on Wall Street was designed in 1851 by the celebrated architect Richard M. Upjohn.


Jun 20 2011

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 1

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 2

One of the most ornate structures in Harlem, this church started its life in 1913 as the Regent Theatre, one of the country's early movie palaces. Its elaborately columned and arched facade loosely resembles the Doges' Palace in Venice. The Regent was sold to the church in 1964.


Jun 20 2011

St. Vartan Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Vartan Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Vartan Cathedral (Armenian: Սբ. Վարդան տաճար) in New York City is the first cathedral of the Armenian Apostolic Church to be constructed in North America. It is located in New York City on the corner of Second Avenue and Thirty-forth street and was built to resemble the St. Hripsime Church in Echmiadzin. St. Vartan's was consecrated on April 28, 1968 by His Holiness Vazgen I, Catholicos of Armenia and of All Armenians.


Jun 18 2011

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

The Cathedral of St. Markella was established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Petros of Astoria in 1954, to serve the pious Orthodox Christians in the area who remained loyal to the Patristic "Old" Calendar. Since that time, it has become the Cathedral parish of the Holy Metropolis of the G.O.C. of America, whose current bishop is His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.


Jun 18 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 2

Trinity Lutheran Church is a historic Lutheran church at 31-18 37th Street in Astoria, Queens, New York. It was designed by John William Cresswell Corbusier and overseen by noted architect George W. Conable (1866-1933). It was built in 1926 and is a one story Collegiate Gothic style building.