Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Church, commonly called St. Bart's, is a historic Episcopal parish founded in January 1835, and located on the east side of Park Avenue between 50th and 51st Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

The congregation's first location was opened for service in January 1835, in a plain church at the corner of Great Jones Street and fashionable Lafayette Place.


Jul 15 2011

Take A Tour Of Manhattan In The 1940s

Amateur photographer Charles W. Cushman traveled extensively in the U.S. and abroad capturing daily life from 1938 to 1969.

His works have been donated to and maintained by Cushman's alma mater Indiana University, which has kindly given us permission to publish his gallery of New York City photos taken in 1941, 1942 and 1960.

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-city-1940s-photos-2011-7?op=1


Jul 12 2011

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation was founded in 1906, and held its services at 220 West 130th Street in a building which later became the Williams Institutional C.M.E. Church. In 1922, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a new synagogue and community house at 605 West 161st Street, near Fort Washington Avenue. Completed at a cost of $500,000 in 1925, the buildings were designed by George and Edward Blum and Ludwig Hanauer, and featured terra cotta trim and a deep latticework arch over the entrance.


Jul 12 2011

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Elizabeth is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at West 187th Street at Wadsworth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1869, originally located on 187th Street at Broadway from 1869 to 1929.

The parish was founded in 1869 what was then known as Fort Washington by the Rev. Cornelius O’Callaghan.


Jul 12 2011

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church of Harlem was founded in 1868, shortly after the close of the American Civil War. The first church, located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 125th Street, was designed by John W. Welch and built from 1869-70. A great fire in 1888 destroyed the building, and the land was sold to Temple Israel.

A new church, on the southwest corner of Lenox Avenue and 122nd Street, was designed by William A. Potter and completed in 1888.


Jul 12 2011

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (New York City) is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 91 Arden Street, south of Broadway, Inwood, Manhattan. It was established 1927 and built 1928 to designs by Gustave E. Steinback of 157 West 74th Street for the cost of $160,000.


Jul 12 2011

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of the Good Shepherd is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 608 Isham Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1911 and was formerly staffed by the Paulist Fathers. It is currently staffed by the Capuchin Friars.

The church cornerstone is dated 1936, which similarly establishes the church as being a Paulist Fathers church.


Jul 09 2011

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church stood across Liberty Street from the South Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, USA. It was completely destroyed in the September 11, 2001, attacks when the South Tower collapsed.

The building that came to house the church was built around 1832. In 1916, Greek American immigrants started the congregation of St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and in 1922 started to hold worship services at the Liberty Street location.


Jul 03 2011

Russian Orthodox Church of Three Saints in Garfield, NJ

Russian Orthodox Church of Three Saints in Garfield, NJ. Image 1

The church was founded in 1898 by Russian immigrants, mostly from the region of the Carpathian Mountains in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. The cornerstone of the Three Saints Church was laid on July 3, 1901. The original Three Saints Church edifice was a wooden building adorned with traditional mural icons and a bell imported from Russia.


Jul 03 2011

St. Lucy's Church, Manhattan

St. Lucy's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Lucy’s Church is a Roman Catholic parish located in Manhattan, New York City under the authority of the Archdiocese of New York. The church and school address is 338-342 East 104th Street, New York, New York 10029; the school occupied 336 East 104th Street.

The parish was established in 1899 by the Rev. Edmund W. Cronin for Italian and English-speaking Catholics