Sep 03 2011

Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Parish, Jersey City, New Jersey, was founded on March 25, 1907, by the immigrants from the Austro-Hungarian and Russian Empires, as a community of the North American Ecclesiastical Mission. The church building was built in 1860 as a Dutch Reform Church and acquired by the Orthodox Church in 1907. The Church is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and is located in the Paulus Hook Historic District of Jersey City.


Sep 03 2011

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan. Image 1

The origins of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church date back to October 23, 1898, when a new parish was established on the West Side between 77th street and 86th from Central Park to the Hudson River. The area known today as the Upper West Side was fairly well-developed by 1900, and it would take several years to purchase property for a church building, rectory and school. Father Michael J. Considine supervised the construction of the church complex,


Sep 03 2011

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens. Image 1

The parish was formed in 1922. Masses are offered in Brazilian Portuguese, Croatian, Italian, Spanish and Tagalog to compliment the six English Masses, thus reflecting the diverse ethnic makeup of Astoria. They also sponsor a Purgatorial Society and hold First Friday devotions as well as regular adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. There is a parish school for children in grades kindergarten through eight.


Aug 26 2011

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox church on Manhattan's Upper West Side at West End Avenue and West 91st Street. The Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation (Evangelismos) is a parish of the Direct Archdiocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The church was built by Heins & LaFarge in (1893–94) as the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The church was sold to a Greek parish in 1952.


Aug 26 2011

Lisanti Family Chapel, The Bronx

In 1905 Francesco Lisanti, an Italian baker in the Bronx, built a private family chapel, which today reveals much about the challenges turn-of-the-century Italian immigrants faced and the creative solutions they devised to meet their spiritual needs. This place of worship served the Lisanti family as well as community members until the 1970s.


Aug 21 2011

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

The First Reformed Dutch Church of Bergen Neck, now known as The First Federated Church of Bayonne is located in Bayonne, New Jersey. Its history goes back to 1638, when the ship, "Arms of Norway", landed on the shores of Manhattan. In 1654, nine Dutch passangers from this ship moved to what was then called New Amsterdam. They were the first white settlers and consequently, the founders of Bayonne, New Jersey. The congregation started in the homes of these people. From there a small log church was built in the area of what is now Jersey City.


Aug 21 2011

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church is notably the first Coptic Orthodox church in the United States, located at Jersey City, New Jersey. It is one of over 200 Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States. St. Mark's Church was first founded from the late 60's, although the actual date of incorporation was 1970. The large influx of Copts in New Jersey can be attributed to their persecution in Egypt, in addition to those who emigrate seeking educational and financial opportunities. Currently, there are more than 30,000 Copts in Jersey City alone.


Aug 21 2011

Church of the Holy Innocents in Hoboken, NJ

Church of the Holy Innocents in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

Church of the Holy Innocents is a historic church at Willow Avenue and 6th Street in Hoboken, New Jersey. The congregation was founded in 1872. It was built 1871-1872 to the designs of Edward Tuckerman Potter and Henry Vaughn. The choir was added in 1913, the baptistery in 1932. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The church parish merged with All Saints Episcopal Parish int 1983. Presently the church is not in use, but has been targeted by the parish for future restoration and renovation.


Aug 21 2011

St. Patrick's Church Complex in Jersey City, NJ

St. Patrick's Church Complex in Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The stately Gothic Victorian-style structure at the corner of Bramhall and Grand Street is St. Patrick's R.C. Church. It is the largest church in Jersey City and the third largest in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. The church is not only known for its role in the community but also for the theater within its elementary school that was placed on the state and national registers of historic places in 1980.


Aug 21 2011

St. John's Lutheran Church in Hoboken, NJ

St. John's Lutheran Church in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

St. John's congregation was established on September 19, 1889, and incorporated according to the laws of the State of New Jersey. The congregation worshiped at the Odd Fellow's Hall until the spring of 1890, when an opportunity was offered to buy this church building, the old First Baptist Church of Hoboken. This church building was purchased on April 29, 1890.

This historic church was designed by architect Thomas S. Field and was built by Issac Linkey and members of the First Baptist congregation.