Oct 30 2011

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The community was officially incorporated by the State of New York on June 25, 1931 under the name "Washington Heights Hellenic Orthodox Church, Inc.,". The faitfhul congregated at first in a small hall above a theater located on St., Nicholas Avenue at 185th Street. Later, they met in a room above a garage on 183rd Street east of Broadway. Holy Rood Episcopalian Church on 179th Street and Ft. Washington Avenue, made available an auditorium for use of our parish.


Oct 24 2011

St. John's in the Wilderness Church in Stony Point, NY

St John's in the Wilderness Church, Harriman State Park, Stony Point, New York

St. John in the Wilderness Church is the St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church in Harriman State Park, Stony Point, New York. The church was built by Margaret Zimmerman in memory of her dead husband John. In 1879 Mrs. Zimmerman purchased the land for the church, on June 23 1880 the cornerstone was laid. The architecture was typical of Northern England, the native “hornblend” granite was used for the building construction.


Oct 09 2011

United Synagogue of Hoboken, NJ

United Synagogue of Hoboken, NJ. Photo 1

The United Synagogue of Hoboken is a Conservative synagogue in Hoboken, New Jersey, "in the heart of the gentrified part of Hoboken." In 1946 The Hoboken Jewish Center and The Star of Israel Synagogue merged to form The United Synagogue of Hoboken. Originally, Moses Montefiore Synagogue had been invited to join the merger, but it declined when it learned that there would be mixed seating for religious services.


Oct 09 2011

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church, also known as Church of England in America, Mission Church at Newton, St. James Protestant Episcopal Church, Parish Hall, Community Hall is a historic Episcopal church at 86-02 Broadway in Elmhurst, Queens, New York. It was built in 1735 and is the oldest surviving Anglican building in the City of New York. It is the oldest Church of England mission church in New York City.


Oct 09 2011

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church is an anglican episcopal church located at Broadway street in Elmhurst, Queens. It was founded in 1704 under a royal charter granted to the Church of England and is one of the oldest churches in New York City. The current campus encompasses two sides of Broadway and includes a modern church, a parish hall, a cloister, and a cemetery.


Oct 02 2011

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Photo 1

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America church, located on Montgomery Street in Jersey City, New Jersey.


Oct 02 2011

St. George and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

St. George and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Photo 1

St George & St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church is the second Coptic Orthodox church that was established in Jersey City, New Jersey. Coptic Orthodox Christians, who adhere to an ancient Christian faith rooted in Egypt in the first century, have established a stronghold throughout New Jersey over the last several decades. The first Coptic Orthodox Church in the United States was St. Mark’s in Jersey City, which was founded in 1970 by Egyptian immigrants,


Oct 02 2011

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of St. Dominic is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1739 Unionport Road, Van Nest, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927. The Romanesque Revival was built 1925 to the designs of Bronx-native architect Anthony J. DePace of the firm DePace & Juster. In May of 2011, two of the three bells were removed in order to service the wooden supports which were waterlogged and had seepage problems.


Oct 02 2011

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

West-Park Presbyterian Church is a Romanesque Revival Presbyterian church located on the corner of Amsterdam Avenue at 86th Street on Manhattan's Upper West Side, New York City, consisting of a main sanctuary and chapel. The congregation was founded in 1852 as the 84th Street Presbyterian Church, building its first chapel of timber in 1854 on 84th Street and West End Avenue, to designs by one of the city’s most prominent architects, Prague-born Leopold Eidlitz. The church changed its name to Park Presbyterian Church in 1887.


Oct 02 2011

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of Saint Paul and Saint Andrew is a historic United Methodist church located in the Upper West Side of New York City, New York on West 86th Street. The Church is known for being socially moderate, and being accepting of people of all races, ages, and sexual orientations. The Church hosts a number of performing arts groups; including the Empire City Men's Chorus, The Prospect Theater Company, and David Parker & The Bang Group.