Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

The Shrine Church of St. Ann is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road, in the Bronx, New York City. The church and parish school are located in the same building, a common school-above-church design feature of several New York City parishes. It is a red brick multistory Collegiate Gothic structure with Decorated Gothic and Tudor Gothic design elements with terracotta trim over a raised fieldstone basement and entrance breakfront.

Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. Anne's Episcopal Church

St. Ann's Church is a historic Episcopal church in the South Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1840 and donated by Gouverneur Morris Jr. (1813-1888) as a family memorial. It is a fieldstone building in the Gothic Revival style with a vernacular Greek Revival style tower. The complex includes the stone parish house added in 1916, late-19th century Sunday School and gymnasium building, and a graveyard that includes the Morris family crypt. Among those whose remains are in the graveyard or crypt are Gouverneur Morris (1752–1816), Lewis Morris (1671–1746), and Lewis Morris (1726–1798).

Dec 04 2011

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church.

Dec 04 2011

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Angel Orensanz Center (originally, Anshe Chesed Synagogue; also formerly known as the Norfolk Street Congregation and Anshe Slonim Synagogue) is located at 172 Norfolk Street (between Stanton Street and East Houston Street) on the Lower East Side of New York City, New York. It is housed in a Gothic Revival synagogue, built in 1849 for Congregation Ansche Chesed (People of Kindness).

Dec 04 2011

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of Our Lady of Solace is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 731 Morris Park Avenue at the intersection with Holland Avenue, Bronx, New York City in the Van Nest neighborhood. The parish was established 1903. The present church was dedicated in 1929.

Dec 03 2011

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The New Middle Collegiate Church, on Second Avenue in the East Village is located between 6th and 7th Streets. It was built in 1891 and designed by S. B. Reed and was "'thoroughly equipped' as one guide said, 'with reading-rooms, gymnasium, and all appliances for aggressive modern church work'." The church was the successor of the Second Middle Collegiate Church, also known as the Lafayette Place Middle Dutch Church, built 1839 and abandoned by the congregation in 1887. The congregation was founded in 1628, and is the oldest continuous Protestant congregation in North America

Dec 03 2011

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church is a small church located at 11th Street in East Village, Manhattan. It's building was constructed in 1851 for the Welsh Congregational Church. In 1944 the building was sold to the Free Magyar Reformed Church of New York. In 1960 it was converted to an off-Broadway playhouse. In 1971 it resumed use as a church operated by the All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church of NYC.

Dec 03 2011

Holy Rosary Church, Manhattan

Holy Rosary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of the Holy Rosary is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 444 East 119th Street, East Harlem, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1884 for the for the Germans and the Irish of the newly developed neighborhood. The present church building was dedicated in 1898.

Nov 22 2011

Judson Memorial Church, Manhattan

Judson Memorial Church, Manhattan. Photo 1
The Judson Memorial Church is located on Washington Square South between Thompson and Sullivan Streets, opposite Washington Square Park, in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of the Manhattan borough of New York City. It is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA and with the United Church of Christ.
The church was founded by Edward Judson who had been preaching at the Bearean Baptist Church on Downing Street, also in the village, but his efforts at expanding the congregation were so successful that a new sanctuary was required.

Oct 30 2011

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Church, Manhattan

Church of San Salvadore

The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Church is a former San Salvatore Episcopal church building located at Broome Street in Manhattan. The original church was dedicated in January 1903. San Salvatore was central to the lives of residents of Little Italy district. With time the Little Italy neighborhood changed. Chinatown spread into the streets once populated almost exclusively by Italian and Jewish families. San Salvatore eventually became home to Holy Trinity Ukrainian Church.