Apr 21 2012

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church at 359 West 24th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is the second church on this site. The first St. Eleftherios Church was orginally the Twenty-fourth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1860, and taken over by the St. Eleftherios congregation in 1913. That church burnt down in 1973,

Mar 18 2012

St. Patrick's Church of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

St Patrick's Church, Brooklyn

St. Patrick's church is a christian Roman Catholic church standing within one of the busiest avenues in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. St. Patrick Mission was founded in 1849, it was also the Parish of the Catholic soldiers assigned to the Fort Hamilton. The first church building was dedicated on December 12th, 1852. The men of the Fort - especially the Irish among them - voluntarily contributed one dollar a week toward their new church. That was a huge sum in those days. This money was set aside and helped in the construction of a church building.


Mar 18 2012

St. Andrew the Apostle Church, Brooklyn

St. Andrew the Apostle Church is a christian Roman Catholic church in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The Parish was formed in 1971 from Our Lady of Angels Parish. For the first 10 years daily services were held at two Victorian houses at the corner of Ridge Boulevard and Senator Street, weekend Masses were held at Salem Lutheran Church on 67th Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues. In 1981 the corner house was rebuilt into a permanent church building.

Feb 26 2012

Calvary Church, Manhattan

Calvary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Calvary Church is an Episcopal church located at 273 Park Avenue South on the corner of East 21st Street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, on the border of the Flatiron District. The church complex is located within the Gramercy Park Historic District and Extension.
The Calvary Church parish was founded in 1832, and initially used a wooden-frame church on what was then Fourth Avenue – which has since become Park Avenue – uptown of its current site. That building was moved to the current location in 1842, and the new Gothic Revival sanctuary, designed by James Renwick, was completed in 1848.

Feb 18 2012

Andrews United Methodist Church, Brooklyn

Andrews United Methodist Church is a historic Methodist church at 95 Richmond Street in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1893 and is a one story, asymmetrical orange brick church in the Queen Anne style. It features a massive rose window on the front facade and a three story, square bell tower. The interior is arranged on the Akron Plan. Attached to the church is a two story Sunday school wing.

Feb 18 2012

Antioch Baptist Church, Brooklyn

Antioch Baptist Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

The Antioch Baptist Church, originally Greene Avenue Baptist Church, is a baptist church located at Greene Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. The congregation was found in 1918. In the beginning the congregation rented the church at Fleet Street for a short period of time, later the Concord Baptist Church at 163 and 165 Duffield Street was purchased. The congregation membership increased to 6,000 in 1931. In 1950 the Greene Avenue Baptist Church was purchased.

Feb 18 2012

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, Brooklyn

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church Complex, also known as the "White Church", is a historic Dutch Reformed church in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York, New York. The complex consists of the church and attached Sunday School building. The church was organized in 1851 by members of the Bushwick Reformed Church that dates back to 1654. Himrod St. was named after South Bushwick's first pastor. The church is a two story frame, clapboard sided building finished in 1853. Its design combines Greek Revival and Gibbsian classical styles.

Feb 18 2012

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, Brooklyn

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, also known as Rugged Cross Baptist Church, is a historic Evangelical Lutheran church at 1084 Lafayette Avenue, 11221, in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1898-1899 in the Romanesque Revival style. It is faced in cream colored brick with beige brick and terra cotta trim. The front facade is arranged with a two story tall central gable flanked by asymmetrical towers. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

Jan 28 2012

Church of the Holy Innocents in Highland Falls, NY

Church of the Holy Innocents in Highland Falls, NY. Photo 1

The Church of the Holy Innocents is located on Main Street in Highland Falls, New York, USA, not far from the main gate of the United States Military Academy and right across from the West Point Museum. It is an Episcopal church, established in 1841. The building, designed by Robert Walter Weir, a Hudson River School painter then employed as an instructor at the academy, was completed five years later and consecrated in 1847. The name "Holy Innocents" came from Weir's children, who died young.

Jan 27 2012

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church in New Rochelle, NY

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church in New Rochelle in Westchester County, New York is located at the northwest corner of Huguenot Street and Division Street. This church represents the body of the majority group of New Rochelle's founding Huguenot French Calvinistic congregation that conformed to the liturgy of the established Church of England in June 1709. King George III gave Trinity its first charter in 1762. After the American Revolutionary War, Trinity became a parish of the Protestant Episcopal Church of America.