Jun 11 2012

All Saints Episcopal Parish in Hoboken, NJ

Hoboken All Saints Episcopal Church

All Saints Episcopal Parish arose from the consolidation of three Episcopal churches in Hoboken in the early 1980's: St. Paul's (located at 820 Hudson Street) was founded in 1832, Trinity (current worship site at 701 Washington Street) was founded in 1853 and is the oldest continuous congregation in Hoboken and Church of the Holy Innocents (located at Sixth and Willow Streets) which was founded in 1874.

Jun 11 2012

St. Thomas Church, Manhattan

St Thomas Church

Saint Thomas Church, located at the corner of 53rd Street and Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York, New York in the United States, is an Episcopal parish church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. It is also known as Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue or as Saint Thomas Church in the City of New York and was incorporated on 9 January 1824.
The present church, a designated New York landmark, was built from 1911 to 1913, designed by a partnership of Ralph Adams Cram,

Jun 11 2012

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Saint Malachy Roman Catholic Church is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located in Manhattan on West 49th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. The parish has served the theater community in a special way since 1920, and its parishioners have included a large number of celebrities in the field of acting, such as Bob Hope and Gregory Peck. The parish was founded in 1902 by Archbishop Farley. The current church complex was designed by prolific ecclesiastical architect, Thomas J. Duff, and built the following year.

May 08 2012

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Founded in 1940, the synagogue originally served a bustling, immigrant population within New York’s Yiddish theater district. The present congregation building is a former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1846. The church lost most of its congregation in a tragic fire aboard the General Slocum steamship in June 1904. The building stood empty for years afterward until it was brought back to life by a group of Jewish visionaries in November 1940.

May 08 2012

Madison Avenue Baptist Church, Manhattan

Madison Avenue Baptist Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Madison Avenue Baptist Church was first chartered in 1848 as Rose Hill Baptist Sunday School and Church, on East 30th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues in Manhattan, New York City. Rose Hill was a house church with twelve members. In 1849, Rose Hill Baptist became the Lexington Avenue Baptist Church with twenty-eight members. Later moved at East 31st Street and Madison Avenue, new structure was built in 1858.


May 08 2012

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Washington Square Methodist Episcopal Church was a former Methodist church located at 135 West Fourth Street, Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York. It was built in 1860, became a United Methodist church and closed in 2004 when its diminished congregation rented space in Trinity Chapel, New York University in 1964. The church could not be demolished as it was located in the Village historic district and was instead converted into residential units.

May 08 2012

St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan

St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of St. Joseph in Greenwich Village is a Roman Catholic parish church located at 365 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) at the corner of Washington Place in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1833-34, it is the oldest purpose-built Roman Catholic church building in New York City.
St. Joseph's Parish was founded by Bishop John Dubois in 1829. The cornerstone of the Church was laid on June 10, 1833. The church was designed by John Doran in the Greek Revival style.

Apr 21 2012

Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection, Manhattan

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection

The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection and Chapel of St Innocent of Irkutsk, East Village, Manhattan, New York, is one of the main places of Orthodox worship in New York City. The parish originated in 1870 as the Russo-Greek Chapel of Holy Trinity to serve the needs of the Russian and Greek Embassies. In 1895 it was re-organized as the Church of St Nicholas. New church building was built in 1904.

Apr 21 2012

St. Martin of Tours Church, The Bronx

St. Martin of Tours Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of St. Martin of Tours is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 664 Grote Street, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1897 at Belmont Avenue and 183rd Street. Before the present Modernist brick and concrete church was built, a large stone-towered Protestant-looking church was in use

Apr 21 2012

St. Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn

St. Cyril&s of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn. Photo 1
St Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral is a christian orthodox church of Belarussian Orthodox Church, located on Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. The church building is a former protestant church. This empty church was purchased by orthodox community of belarusian immigrants after the WWII. The first divine service was held on November 25 1957.