May 08 2011

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens. Image 1

St. George's Church is an intercultural, multilingual Episcopal congregation in Flushing, New York with members from over twenty different nations of origin. A landmark church, it has served an ever changing congregation for over 300 years.


May 08 2011

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1: Copyright by Unknown

The Fifth Avenue Synagogue (קהלת עטרת צבי) is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue located at 5 East 62nd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The synagogue was founded in 1958, by former members of Congregation Zichron Ephraim who opposed that congregation's decision to seat men and women together during services. Henry Hirsch, Myrtle Hirsch, Leib Merkin and Hermann Merkin were among the congregation's founders. Author Herman Wouk was an early member of the Fifth Avenue Synagogue.


May 08 2011

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Christ Church New Brighton (Episcopal) is a historic Episcopal church complex at 76 Franklin Avenue in New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The complex consists of a Late Victorian Gothic church (1904) and parish hall, connected to the church by an enclosed cloister, and a Tudor-style rectory (built 1879 and remodeled in 1909). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


May 02 2011

Russian Orthodox Novo-Diveevo Convent in Nanuet, Clarkstown, NY

Russian Orthodox Novo-Diveevo Convent in Nanuet, Clarkstown, NY. Image 1

Stavropegial Convent of the Dormition; "Novo-Diveevo" is located approximately 24 miles north of New York City. The founder of the convent was Archbishop Andrei of Rockland, then Protopresbyter Adrian Rimarenko (starets Nektarii of Optina died under his epitrachelion). In 1949, with the arrival in America of a multitude of refugees, ROCOR’s First Hierarch Metropolitan Anastasy entrusted Fr. Adrian to build a spiritual center. A former Roman Catholic monastery was purchased and a Russian convent was founded.


Apr 27 2011

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx. Image 1

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil is a United Church of Christ parish church in The Bronx, New York. Its congregation was originally founded in 1869 as the mission chapel affiliated with the Riverdale Presbyterian Church, serving the workers at the nearby Johnson Iron Foundry. The church was designed by architect Francis Kimball and was built from 1888–1889.


Apr 26 2011

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Cathedral Basilica of St. James is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Brooklyn. It is located at the corner of Jay Street and Cathedral Place in Downtown Brooklyn. St. James is the oldest Catholic parish on Long Island and is the seat of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Its extensive history has seen the transformation of peaceful pastoral countryside into a bustling metropolis, and the growth of a fledgling parish into one of the largest dioceses in America.


Apr 26 2011

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

The shul that stands at 180 Stanton Street is the first American home of Congregation Bnai Jacob Anshe Brzezan (“Sons of Jacob, People of Brzezan”). Incorporated in 1893, the community of Jewish immigrants from the town of Brzezan in Southeast Galicia, (formerly Austria-Hungary, then Poland, now the Ukraine), created their place of worship from an existing structure on the site in 1913, within a thriving Lower East Side Jewish community. The shul has since changed with the neighborhood, but has struggled to preserve its old country roots. Today, it is one of the few tenement shuls still left of the 700 congregations recorded in 1918 serving the Jews of the Lower East Side.


Apr 25 2011

Queens Jewish Center

Queens Jewish Center. Image 1

The Queens Jewish Center, also known as Queens Jewish Center and Talmud Torah or QJC, is a synagogue in Forest Hills, New York known for its significant contributions to the Jewish community. The synagogue was established by a dozen families in 1943 to serve the growing central Queens Jewish community. The Queens Jewish Center building won honorable mention in the 1955 Queens Chamber of Commerce, Annual Building Awards. The architect was David Moed of Manhattan and the Builder was the LeFrak Organization.


Apr 24 2011

Baptist Temple, Brooklyn

Baptist Temple in Brooklyn. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

Baptist Temple is a historic Baptist church at 360 Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1893-1894 in the Romanesque Revival style and rebuilt after a fire in 1917-1918. It has a brownstone base and superstructure faced with subtly textured brick with brownstone trim. The building features a large rose window and three corner towers.


Apr 22 2011

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

Saint George, Coptic Orthodox Church of Brooklyn opened its doors for the flock of Christ on December 31, 1972. The service in St. George’s Church began immediately and was not rendered for the Brooklyn congregation alone, but also outreached to families in encompassing areas such as Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Long Island and some areas in New Jersey, and that is due to the lack of churches in those areas at that time.