May 20 2011

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan. Image 1
In 1651, Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Amsterdam, purchased land for a bowery or farm from the Dutch West India Company and by 1660 built a family chapel at the present day site of St. Marks Church. Stuyvesant died in 1678 and was interred in a vault under the chapel. Stuyvesant's great-grandson, Petrus, would donate the chapel property to Episcopal Church in 1793, stipulating that a new chapel be erected and in 1795 the cornerstone of the present day St. Mark's Church was laid. The church was completed and consecrated in 1799. Alexander Hamilton would then provide legal aid in incorporating St. Mark's Church as the first Episcopal Parish independent of Trinity Church in the new world.

May 16 2011

Ramath Orah, Manhattan

Ramath Orah, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Ramath Orah is an Orthodox synagogue located in Manhattan's Upper West Side, close to Columbia University. It occupies a neo-Georgian building originally built in 1921 for the West Side Unitarian Church. The congregation was founded in 1942 by Rabbi Dr. Robert Serebrenik, his wife Mrs. Julia Serebrenik (née Herzog), and sixty-one other Jewish refugees form Luxembourg.


May 16 2011

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Shearith Israel, often called The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, is the oldest Jewish congregation in the United States. It was established in 1654. The Orthodox synagogue is located on Central Park West at 70th Street in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.


May 16 2011

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

Park East Synagogue is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, in New York City. Congregation Zichron Ephraim was established by Rabbi Bernard Drachman and Jonas Weil to promote Orthodox Judaism as an alternative to Reform Judaism popular on the Upper East Side.


May 14 2011

Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn

Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is an architectural landmark in the New York City borough of Brooklyn. It is located on 5th Avenue between 59th and 60th streets in the Sunset Park neighborhood and occupies about half the square block extending back to 6th Avenue, with the rectory and ancillary buildings occupying the remainder. The Basilica is visible for some distance, particularly from the Gowanus Expressway. It is popularly referred to by its initials, OLPH.


May 14 2011

Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, The Bronx

Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, The Bronx. Image 1

Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 150th Street at Melrose Avenue, Bronx, New York City, in the Melrose neighborhood of the South Bronx. The parish was established in 1853. It is staffed by the Redemptorist Fathers. The church boasts the highest spire in the Bronx.


May 14 2011

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx. Image 1

On August 15, 1855, a Protestant Episcopal society was organized in King's Bridge, and the name adopted was "The Church of the Mediator, Yonkers." In 1857, the society erected its first church, a frame structure costing five thousand dollars, on land presented by James R. Whiting, and a rectory was built soon afterward on adjoining land. Bishop Horatio Potter consecrated the church on November 6, 1864.


May 09 2011

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

St Peter's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in New York City and part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The church was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965. The original church's cornerstone was laid in 1785 and the first solemn Mass was celebrated in 1786. This was nearly three years before George Washington—standing less than a mile away on an open-air balcony of Federal Hall (the nation's first capitol)—took the oath of office as the first president of the United States. The cornerstone of the present Greek Revival church, designed by architects Thomas Thomas and John R. Hagarty, was laid in 1836. The exisiting church was completed in 1840.


May 09 2011

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

The corner stone of Old St. Patrick's - the city's first Cathedral Church - was laid on June 8,1809. It was dedicated on May 14,1815, and on that day the New York Gazette described the cathedral as "a grand and beautiful church, which may justly be considered one of the greatest ornaments of our city". Designed by architect Joseph Francois Mangin, St. Patrick's has great dignity and character in its restrained simplicity. Her sidewalls rise to a height of 75 feet, and the inner vault is 85 feet high. The church is over 120 feet long and 80 feet wide. Near the west wall stands the huge marble altar surrounded by an ornately carved, gold leaf reredos.


May 09 2011

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Before the establishment of St. Peter's in 1839, the Mass was not regularly celebrated on Staten Island. In fact, Catholics on the island had to travel to either St. Peter's in Manhattan or St. James's in Brooklyn if they wished to partake in the Mass on a regular basis. Bishop Hughes, after considering that the Catholic population on the island had grown to around 100 people, decided that a parish should be established on Staten Island. Father Ildelfonso Medrano, an exiled Spaniard, was assigned by the bishop as St. Peter's first pastor on April 1, 1839.