May 23 2011

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.

The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904.


May 23 2011

Holy Cross Church, Manhattan

Holy Cross Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Cross Church is a Roman Catholic church located at 329 West 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, near Times Square and across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The Holy Cross Parish was established in 1852 and a chapel erected, which the congregation quickly outgrew. In 1854, a new building was constructed and dedicated, but lightning struck this second structure in 1867, and the ensuing fire severely damaged it.


May 22 2011

Van Nest Assembly of God, The Bronx

Van Nest Assembly of God, The Bronx. Image 1

In 1934 a group of born-again ladies, members of the Italian Christian Church at 167th Street and Intervale Avenue, under the spiritual leadership of Pastor Silvio Margadonna, began holding home prayer meetings, seeking God's guidance for the establishment of a church in the Van Nest area. Their outreach began with door-to-door witnessing. Within a short period of time, a Friday night prayer meeting was established and space was rented at 1722 Adams Street, Bronx, New York.


May 22 2011

St. Nicholas of Tolentine's Church, The Bronx

St. Nicholas of Tolentine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Nicholas of Tolentine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Fordham Road at University Avenue, Bronx, New York City. The substantial stone twin-towered is deemed "The Cathedral of the Bronx."

The parish was founded by Augustinian Friars on 22 April 1906 with the first mass occurring in a small garage on North Street near Jerome Avenue. Immediately from 1906 on, construction of a permanent church with parochial buildings on Andrew Avenue and Fordham Road commenced.


May 21 2011

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Saint Barbara was founded in 1926 by struggling immigrants, this magnificent structure once a synagogue, has provided and continues to provide the greatest comfort of our beloved Martyr Saint Barbara. As the patron Saint of firefighters and the artillery, Saint Barbara was a haven to those who fought during World War II. The Church at that time was a thriving community with newly arriving families from Greece finding religious solace at her door.


May 21 2011

Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan

Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan. Image 1

The Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity is an institution of the Archdiocese with over 800 families. It includes the Cathedral School, a private school consisting of grades K-8. It has served as the national Cathedral of the Archdiocese since 1962 hosting patriarchs, hierarchs, dignitaries and visitors from throughout the world. The Cathedral congregation invites you to worship and participate in its social services, Bible study, mission and fellowship.


May 21 2011

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ. Image 1: copyright by Unknown

The origin of The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint John the Theologian traces back to 1952, when a group of Greek Orthodox Christians were granted a charter by the Archdiocese, to establish a church in Fairview, NJ. The Ascension Church of Fairview was the only church in Bergen County at the time. According to parish history, Ascension community's membership began to grow rapidly soon after its founding. Members living in northeastern Bergen County considered establishing a new, more conveniently located church in the mid 1950's.


May 20 2011

Jamaica Muslim Center, Queens

Jamaica Muslim Center, Queens. Image 1

Jamaica Muslim Center is an initiative of Muslims in America dedicated to promoting Islamic awareness and facilitating socio-economic welfare of the common people in Jamaica, Queens, New York. Jamaica Muslim Center (JMC) is Non-Profit, Independent, Non-partisan, Non-sectarian, Ummah-oriented and Membership-driven.


May 20 2011

Flushing Ganesh Temple, Queens

Flushing Ganesh Temple, Queens. Image 1

The Hindu Temple Society of North America ("Society"), a non-profit religious institution was incorporated on January 26, 1970, under the laws of the State of New York. Soon thereafter, the Society acquired from the Russian Orthodox Church a site on which the present Temple is situated. It was in this small frame house that daily rituals were performed and weekend services conducted by volunteer priests, until the present structure, designed in accordance with the Agama Sastras (scriptures relating to temple building), was completed early in 1977, and the Temple consecrated on July 4 of the same year.


May 20 2011

Abyssinian Baptist Church, Manhattan

Abyssinian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The church traces its roots to 1808, when visiting free Ethiopian seamen and allied African American parishioners left the First Baptist Church in the City of New York in protest over being restricted to racially segregated seating. They named their new congregation the Abyssinian Baptist Church after the historic name of Ethiopia. Through the years, Abyssinian Baptist Church moved north on the island of Manhattan, as Harlem became a center of African-American population.