May 28 2011

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.


May 28 2011

Holy Cross Church, The Bronx

Holy Cross Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of Holy Cross is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 600 Soundview Avenue, Bronx, New York City. The church is located on the east side of Soundview Avenue at the intersection is Taylor Avenue. The church was designed by Brother Cajetan Baumann, O.F.M. The design is a typical "high-concept" Modernist concrete and stained-glass shell,


May 28 2011

Marble Collegiate Church, Manhattan

Marble Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the City of New York was organized in 1628 under Peter Minuit, Director General of the New Netherland, and has the distinction of being the oldest Protestant denomination with a continuous ministry, and was also the first corporation in the United States. The first church, officially named St. Nicholas but known as the Stone Church, was completed in 1642 on a dusty lane (now Pearl Street) in The Fort of New Amsterdam.


May 28 2011

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St Mary's American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) at 121 East 7th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built c.1900, and was altered in 1902 by John P. Voelker. The santuary has served a number of different parishes: the First Hungarian Reformed Church, Ressurection Greek Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul.


May 26 2011

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx. Image 1

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, also known as Duff House & Duff Cottage (Gardener's Cottage), is a historic Presbyterian church at 4761-4765 Henry Hudson Parkway in The Bronx, New York, New York. It was designed in 1863 by noted architect James Renwick, Jr. (1818-1895). It is a fieldstone building in the Late Gothic Revival style. It was substantially enlarged in 1936. The complex also includes the Duff House, also designed by Renwick, and a Stick Style cottage built in 1875 known as Duff Cottage. The church established the Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil in 1869.


May 26 2011

Christ Church, The Bronx

Christ Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Christ Church Complex (Christ Church, Riverdale) is a historic Episcopal parish church and related structures at 5030 Riverdale Avenue in the Riverdale area of The Bronx in New York City. The church was founded in 1866 and its building, made from brick and local stone with a simple pierced-wall belfry; the church building was built 1866 to designs by architect Richard M. Upjohn. It was built in 1866 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


May 26 2011

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. James' Episcopal Church and Parish House is a historic Episcopal church at 2500 Jerome Avenue and 190th Street, in the Fordham section of The Bronx, New York City, New York. It was founded July 5, 1853, becoming the first Episcopal parish in Fordham. The parish at first met at the Manor Reformed Church on Kingsbridge Road, then on June 11, 1854 acquired an old schoolhouse for use. On October 1, 1854, the Rev. Joshua Weaver became its first rector.


May 25 2011

Church of the Sacred Heart, The Bronx

Church of the Sacred Heart, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of the Sacred Heart is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1253 Shakespeare Avenue (West 168 Street), Bronx, New York City 10452. The church building was designed by architect Elliott Lynch, who designed several other Catholic churches and parish schools. The church is connected with a school of the same name.


May 25 2011

St. John's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

St. John's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. John is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 3021 Kingsbridge Avenue, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1877 and has had long ties with the Religious of Jesus and Mary as their main base in New York.

Founded in the 1860s as a mission attended by a Yonkers parish, and later by the Jesuits of Fordham University (founded as St. John’s College), mass was originally celebrated in an old schoolhouse on Spuyten Duyvil Hill.


May 25 2011

St. Jerome's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

St. Jerome's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Jerome is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 230 Alexander Avenue, Mott Haven, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1869 by the Rev. John J. Hughes. The parish of St. Luke's Church (Bronx, New York) was separated from St. Jerome's in 1897.