Jun 03 2011

St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn

St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

In November 1884, the Rev. James Donahoe was sent to establish the Parish of Saint Thomas of Aquinas in South Brooklyn, the 47th parish in the Brooklyn Diocese. The first Mass was celebrated November 16, 1884 in a building on 9th Street near 5th Avenue.


Jun 02 2011

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY. Image 1

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, also known as Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), is a 17th century church located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, United States. The church and its three acre (12 ha) churchyard feature prominently in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". The churchyard is often confused with the contiguous but separate Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It is the oldest extant church and the fifteenth oldest extant building in the state of New York.


Jun 01 2011

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The Polish community in Jersey City dates back to 1870. Like other New Jersey Catholics who preceded them, many Poles ferried into New York City to attend Mass. There, they found pastoral service in their own language at St. Stanislaus Church on Stanton Street. Between 1882 and 1884, the Polish community in North New Jersey organized to establish a Polish parish on their own side of the Hudson River.


Jun 01 2011

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ. Image 1

The Monastery and Church of Saint Michael the Archangel is a state and national historic place in Union City, New Jersey. Formally opened in 1869 and completed in 1875, the grounds of the complex are bounded West Street and Summit Avenue between 18th and 21st Streets. The small street leading to its front entrance from the east is called Monastery Place. At one time the largest Roman Catholic church in Hudson County, it has since became home to a Presbyterian congregation while part of the grounds are used for housing and education.


Jun 01 2011

St. Ann's Church in Hoboken, NJ

St. Ann's Church in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

The religious and cultural life of Hoboken has run broad and full from the beginning. As the population grew and persons of varied nationalities came to reside in the area, so also grew the necessity of providing facilities to care for the spiritual needs of the people. Thus, the Most Reverend John J. O’Conner, Bishop of Newark, canonically erected our own beautiful Parish of Saint Ann, Hoboken, New Jersey, in May 1900, to administer to the spiritual needs of the growing Italian-speaking populace.


May 31 2011

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1634 Victory Boulevard, West New Brighton, Staten Island, New York City. The church was built 1953 to the designs of the prolific architect Robert J. Reiley of Robert J. Reiley & Associates.


May 31 2011

Woodrow Methodist Church in Woodrow, Staten Island

Woodrow Methodist Church is a historic Methodist church at 1109 Woodrow Road in Woodrow, Staten Island, New York. It was built in 1842 and is a wood frame, clapboard sided, temple form Greek Revival style building. It features a portico with four Doric order columns supporting a plain entabulature and unadorned pediment. Above the portico is a three stage, open bell tower and spire in a vernacular Italianate style added in 1876.


May 31 2011

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Andrew is an historic Episcopal church in Richmondtown, located at Arthur Kill and Old Mill Roads in Staten Island, New York. The congregation was founded in 1708. The first church was built in c.1712 or 1713 but was heavily damaged by 1867 and 1872. The church was rebuilt about 1872 in a Gothic style of fieldstone with stop-ended chamfered red brick trim. The attached Burgh Hall was erected in 1924 in a matching style.


May 29 2011

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

St. Demetrios Cathedral is located on the intersection of 31st street and 30th Drive in Astoria Queens. Erected in 1927, the church serves the Hellenic-American population of the neighborhood. The church is actually one of Astoria's two largest Greek Orthodox churches, the other being St. Irene of Chrysovalantou (located on 23rd Avenue).


May 28 2011

Grace Episcopal Church, City Island, The Bronx

Grace Episcopal Church, City Island, The Bronx. Image 1

Grace Episcopal Church has served its nautical community since 1849. Through the dedication of the Rev. C.W. Bolton and his sister Adele Bolton, son and daughter of the Rev. Robert Bolton (builder and Rector of Christ Church in Pelham), our church was conceived and became a reality, bringing the Christian doctrine to (as described by the Rev. C.W. Bolton) a community of "800 souls almost entirely neglected and destitute of the means of grace." Luckily, through grace, our Island home has come far, and our small church has gathered a rich history in those years.