Jun 11 2011

Buddhist Vihara in Port Richmond, Staten Island

Buddhist Vihara in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Image 1

The need for a Buddhist Vihara in Staten Island for the benefit of the large number of Sri Lankan and other Buddhist residents of the island and its vicinity was felt several years ago. However, until recently, the religious and spiritual needs of the Sri Lankan and other Buddhists were fulfilled by the New York Buddhist Vihara in Queens, New York.


Jun 05 2011

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens. Image 1

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church was founded in 1916 as a parish of the North American Missionary Archdiocese of the Russian Orthodox Chuch. After the Russian revolution of 1917, the parish became part of the Metropolia, renamed the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) in 1970 after receving autocephaly (independence) from the Moscow Patriarchate.


Jun 05 2011

Trinity Chapel, Queens

Trinity Chapel, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Chapel, also known as St. John's Church and Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ, is a historic Episcopal church at 1874 Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York. It was built in 1858 to the design of noted architect Richard Upjohn (1802-1878). It is a frame Gothic Revival style chapel on a brick foundation and three bays wide by five bays long. It has a steeply pitched roof and sided in wood shingles. Atop the roof is a wooden belfry with steeply pitched pyramidal roof. It was founded as Trinity Chapel as a mission of Trinity Church in Hewlett, New York.


Jun 05 2011

Congregation Tifereth Israel, Queens

Congregation Tifereth Israel, Queens. Image 1

Congregation Tifereth Israel ("Splendor of Israel") is an Orthodox synagogue located in the Corona section of Queens, New York. It was founded by Ashkenazi Jews who had moved to Queens from Manhattan's Lower East Side. Estée Lauder and her parents were early members.
The congregation constructed its synagogue building in 1911, a wooden Gothic and Moorish revival structure designed by Crescent L. Varrone, and modeled after the narrow tenement synagogues built on Manhattan's Lower East Side.


Jun 05 2011

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 1

The Church of the Resurrection is the oldest church in Richmond Hill. Sometime in 1866 or 1867, the Rev. George Cook, assistant minister at Grace Church, began to hold services in the old Long Island Railroad station between Hillside Avenue and Jamaica Avenue. The Richmond Hill mission, as it came to be known, took root and a chapel was built over a carpenter’s shop in the business block. The Richmond Hill chapel remained a mission until 1874 when the Reverend Joshua Kimber moved to Richmond Hill and took charge.


Jun 04 2011

St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral, Brooklyn

St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral, Brooklyn. Image 1

In the mid 1890s, Arabic-speaking Orthodox Christians from various Middle Eastern countries living in Metropolitan New York formed the Charitable Syrian Orthodox Association. At that time the established Orthodox Church in North America was shepherded by clergy from the Church of Russia. A loft at 77 Washington Street in Manhattan was converted into the first church for the Arabic-speaking Orthodox.


Jun 04 2011

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

St. Paul's Church, Carroll Gardens, also known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, is a parish of the Episcopal Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island and the Episcopal Church in the United States of America, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The church is located on the corner of Clinton and Carroll Streets in the Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn neighborhood of New York City.


Jun 04 2011

Queen of All Saints Church, Brooklyn

Queen of All Saints Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Church of the Queen of All Saints, also known as the Church of Our Lady of All Saints is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn, located at Lafayette and Vanderbilt Avenues, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, in the neighborhood of Fort Greene.


Jun 03 2011

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens. Image 1

The First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, formerly known as the Russell Sage Memorial Church, is a historic Presbyterian church located in the Far Rockaway neighborhood of Queens, New York. It was designed by noted architect Ralph Adams Cram (1863-1942) as a memorial to Russell Sage (1816-1906). It features a large landscape stained glass window designed by Tiffany Studio.


Jun 03 2011

Old Quaker Meeting House, Queens

Old Quaker Meeting House, Queens. Image 1

The Old Quaker Meeting House has been used by the Flushing Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends as a house of worship for over 300 years. The house remains today much as when it was first built, with dark, warm floorboards, simple benches and hand-hewn timber ceiling beams. To step across the threshold is to leave the present behind and to enter a profoundly sacred space seasoned by centuries of devotion. To those who visit, the Meeting House is a peaceful reminder of an eventful and historic past.